Insect Bites and Stings

An Article by Worsley Training - First Aid Training in and around Wiltshire

Insect bites and stings

Stings
 

Most insect bites and stings are not serious and will get better within a few hours or days. They will usually cause a red, swollen lump to develop on the skin which may be painful and very itchy.

 

But occasionally they can cause a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) so it’s important to look out for any signs ‒ such as breathing difficulties or reddened, swollen itchy skin, particularly to the face or neck and call 999/112 urgently.
 
• If someone is stung by a bee the stinger may be embedded in their skin, so gently scrape it off using a credit card or your nail. Avoid using tweezers to pull it out since squeezing it may release more poison into the wound.
 
• Put a wrapped ice pack or something cold on the wound to reduce the pain and swelling. If the sting is in the mouth or throat, get them to suck an ice cube or sip cold water.
 
• Take antihistamine pills or apply cream to help relieve the itching which can cause them to get infected. Calamine aqueous cream is best for under 2s.

Learn More

Book onto one of our courses today and start feeling confident about first aid.